Sunday, May 11, 2014

Clarizza Rae T. Perez
2012-15197

LIFE OF MAMMALS

          Based on the Darwin’s theory of evolution, humans must have come from monkeys or apes. They are the closest reflection of what humans were in the past and how humans were most likely what they are now by a long progressive process of change brought about by the environment that they lived in and the situations that they’ve been exposed to. The film “Life of Mammals” was featured in two parts first was the “Food for Thought” and second was “Social Climbers,” both featuring a tribe of monkeys having their own ways of governing their society.
          I’ve been used to watching films like this from Animal Planet© at two in the morning just so I can doze myself to sleep but only now have I realized that among all the animals that I’m familiar with, monkeys must have been the closest resemblance to a human, as much as I want to consider dogs or kittens or pandas or maybe even penguins just because they’re the cute ones. In the film, it was shown that monkeys have established their own sense of a society where there is an alpha male that leads the group and there’s the basic unit of society which is the family and other positions of individuals in the group. What amazes me is that they have been keen enough to establish this kind of living, where they developed tactics when it comes to protecting their group, their awareness and self-image portrayed by grooming, and other things that humans practice as well. I think that though these kinds of films were often taken for granted by most of us, because most people would rather watch chick flicks and anime than documentaries, they still serve as a powerful tool for understanding what world we really live in and how it was before we got here. Other than this, the film was also effective in showing how monkeys live in the wild, how they struggle for survival, how they changed and probably caused evolution from monkeys to human, and how they differ from us despite the resemblance that we share with them.
          Though this evolution from apes to humans were not fully supported by everyone especially by religious sectors, I think it still pays to consider science, as much as some would neglect it but still unconsciously accept it by their means of living every day, because this could lead to understanding what they did in the past to develop themselves so that we too, as humans, may finally understand what we could do to develop ourselves further and maybe become better human beings, or whatever we’ll call ourselves in the future. After all, evolution is a long progressive process of change, and I would like to believe it didn’t stop with us.


DREAMS

          To talk about dreams, for me, is probably like talking about my hobby. Dreams are those that I enjoy even when I’m awake. I may not fully understand what dreams meant, or how they occur but what I know is that every time I dream, a part of me is taken into this roller coaster ride of infinite possibilities that I would never get tired of and would look forward to when I’m about to sleep.
          The documentary about dreams was very accurate in describing how it really was when dreaming and the common dreams that most of us experience. Though I would like to believe that what these dreams meant depends on the situation that the dreamer is in and that there is no such universal explanation on dreams because dream is one thing that we could consider our own and sometimes between an individual and his sharer. This documentary is the most interesting one so far because I’ve always been fascinated with dreaming, in fact, so fascinated that I have my own dream journal where I write down all of my dreams as accurately and detailed as possible, and that includes writing down what I felt in my dream. Sometimes, I tried searching what my dream would mean but in the end, I would end up interpreting it myself based on what I’m going through that time. Though I was not satisfied with how they try to explain stuff about dreams, it was still a great documentary for me because after watching it I was aware that though science are finding ways of explaining how they occur, there is still some parts of it that science can’t fully understand. That for me, holds the wonder of how dreams are just so interesting not just in relation to science but also to existentialism.
          I agree that dreams cannot necessarily be prophetic and that sometimes, even if they seemed so real, they’re just all in our mind. I also agree that dreaming is also a waking experience and that we are all dreaming day and night, and this terrifies me at the same time because I’m afraid that I might come to the point where reality seem non-existent because I can no longer tell which is a waking and which is a sleeping experience. One thing that I really get excited when I sleep though is that the dream I have when I sleep is happening in a place where I have control of everything. As I’ve said, I’ve been fascinated by dreams even when I was just a little girl that in time I was able to tell when I’m dreaming asleep and as soon as I got aware of it, I would then create anything I want in the world I choose. That, for me, is a power dreaming has given me: to have control of everything around me and within me.


The Future of Media: Politics/ Social Advocacy Track

          If we are after change, then we must get used to the term revolution. This thought have been running through my mind during the first segment of the forum “The Future of Media” that took place at TechPortal, UP AyalaLand TechnoHub.
          I think these kinds of forums are necessary especially now that social media has become an inevitable part of most people’s daily lives. Though I’ve only witnessed the first part since I have class from 11 am onwards. The way this forum was conducted made an environment that’s very inviting and interactive at the same time, after all, social media is an interactive matter. Maybe next time, it would be better if forums like this would be held with vast audiences because sometimes, those that are most in need of information regarding these talks are the ones that lack access to it. I really liked the way by which it was conducted and how everything was just conducive for the sense of social media awareness. The panelists talked about interesting facts and insights regarding social media and I just hope that everyone gets to hear what they have to say. I agree with how one of the panelists addressed the problem regarding social media and how we can’t just keep on advancing it because outside the borders of Metro Manila are places where social media is just starting to bloom, especially in the provinces where information and communication is still by means of traditional media i.e telephones, radio, and television.
          I agree that social media is so powerful and can be a very effective tool for the advancement of our country in terms of communication and information, but just like what the panelists said, we can’t just focus on advancement itself without going back to basic, the traditional media. Traditional media was once our best means for ICT and as we develop in this field, we must not abandon it because this is the key to understanding what we need to make ICT in our country better. I believe that most of us are aware of the power of social media and the problem lies with how we use it. There will always be people who would take advantage of social media, but it’s up to us whether we let them overpower the purpose of it, which is to improve communication and information dissemination.


No comments:

Post a Comment