Sunday, May 11, 2014

Erizza Rose U. Santos
2012-28959


Life of Mammals Reaction Paper

I always thought that monkeys were considered as human’s ancestors because they show a close resemblance to humans, closer than any other mammal or animal could show. They are bipedal, and the built of their body is almost similar to us. But I have not known until I watch two documentaries that beyond the monkeys’ bipedalism and body built, there are other similarities between them and us which make scientists know that they are our ancestors and make them keep looking for the ‘missing link’.

‘Social Climbers’ and ‘Food for Thought’ are episodes from the ‘Life of Mammals’ documentary series. Written and narrated by David Attenborough, these two episodes focused mostly on apes and their resemblance to humans in terms of built and actions.

I was amused on how monkeys can imitate human actions so easily and accurately. They grasp tools almost the same as humans do. Their ability to handle objects is very similar to ours. The way they scrub leaves to their bodies resemble how we scrub ourselves as we bathe or how we apply lotion to our skin. They also interact with others of their kind and even form groups which resemble human communities. Competition is also evident; they fight for their basic needs and for their territories. They also have a way of communicating with each other. They also adapt with their environment easily, remembering how they transformed into bipedal creatures as their forest also transformed into grasslands and rivers.

What surprises me most is the fact that they eat others of their kind just to survive. This, no matter how monkeys are greatly similar to us, is one thing I know humans will never do.

The title of the ninth episode of the series, ‘Social Climbers’, easily caught my attention, and I believe it also caught the attention of my classmates, seen on how they reacted and laughed upon seeing the title. It was a wise choice either, for it makes the audience think and amused when they realize the reason behind the title. Both documentaries are great. They made monkeys and apes, which I never find interesting ever since, interesting even for just in two hours time.


A Beautiful Mind Reaction Paper

‘A Beautiful Mind’ is a story about the accomplishments and struggles of John Nash before achieving his dream to be a Nobel Prize Winner.

Honestly, I don’t know John Nash before watching the movie. His name sounds familiar but I thought that it just because there are so much people named ‘John’ or whatever. I even thought that the movie was only a work of fiction; not until Nash was diagnosed with schizophrenia in the movie did I realize that it is a true to life story.

John’s story was so inspiring, and I admired him so much after watching the movie. He is a genius, but beyond his ability to solve and come up with solutions to complicated and complex problems, there are more things to admire about John Nash that teach us important things about life.

First, dedication and passion to work. In John’s case, he is so much dedicated to math that he thought everything could be solved by working with numbers. He also showed us that despite of every trial and obstacle that life will offer us, it will never be impossible to reach what we want in life. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia, but he never let his disease put him down; instead, he strived more to surpass it and be a Nobel Prize winner. He also proved that ‘mind over matter’ works. At the end of the movie, it was showed that the visions of his imaginary friends never went away, he just learned to live with it.

And then while watching the movie, I realized something: Sometimes we don’t need to accomplish something very much significant to be known, or to leave a mark into people’s lives. Sometimes, the little things we do are enough to leave a mark into the hearts of the people we love, just like Alicia who never left John’s side during his dark times. And that -- more than receiving the Nobel Prize award, more than the publication of his work, and more than defeating schizophrenia -- made the greatest impact in John’s life.


Dreams Reaction Paper

I used to hate dreaming when I was a kid, since I always have nightmares and dreamed of ghosts and other scary creatures back then. So when someone mention ‘dreaming’, I always thought of it as something horrible, something that destroys a safe and sound sleep. But of course as I grew up, I learned that dreams aren’t always nightmares, and I was relieved that my fear of dreaming went away.

Dreams, as defined by Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, are series of thoughts, visions, and feelings that happen during sleep. But for me, dreams are either an escape from reality or an extension of this world of ours.

Dreams provide us a door to escape reality. Dreams make us experience things which are out of this world, things that we know that is never possible in true life. I have experienced dreaming that I met a famous singer. And we could experience even anything we could imagine, whether it is impossible or not. Dreaming also gives us the opportunity to escape our problems and worries in this world and be happy even for just a while. Lucid dreaming also gives you the chance to feel freedom, since according to the documentary, when you are in a lucid dream and if you are aware that you are dreaming, you can do anything you think of doing.

However, there are times when one cannot escape reality from dreaming. Most of my dreams are connected to what is happening in my life during the time when I had the dream. When I worry about something, I dream about it. When I am thinking about something or someone, I dream of it or that someone. When I want something so bad, I dream of myself achieved what I want. That’s why I said that dreams are extensions of this world we are living in.

This is what makes dreams amazing. You go to sleep not knowing if you are going to have a vivid dream and what that dream will be, and not knowing whether you are going to remember it or not when you wake up. Dreaming adds excitement in life and makes it more interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment