Monday, May 12, 2014

Jeanne Macalalad


Jeanne Macalalad
STS Group 5

A Bautiful Mind
            As a student in the field of science the movie A Beautiful Mind is a relevant movie for me. Showing the life of a great scientist, John Nash, I was really motivated to do my best in my field. I like how the movie was made; I was really caught in the moment, carried away in each scene. We have seen his life not only as a scientist but also as a survivor, a fighter of his sickness. We knew from the movie that he had Schizophrenia, and we know that having such illness is not an easy thing from the treatments to the things you can experience because of it. We have seen so much of his struggles and we saw that there are so much beautiful things, positive things that can help us conquer our hardships in life.
            As a student, with no illness like John Nash, I can say that I am not as strong as him. The degree of difficulty I am experiencing is nothing compared to what he has been through but I am still helpless in times I think I am experiencing failure. I complain most of the times I am not in a good situation when in fact I should be thinking positively making ways of how I can fix my problems. Although I am not a pessimist there are still times I experience stress and all I want is just to breakdown. Among my friends I can say that I am the most optimistic and after watching the film I can say that I want to keep this attitude and maybe be more optimistic than ever, so I can become a better person every day. I also can’t deny that I was touched with how his wife bears with him, showing how truly she loves him. Like him I want to find a person who will never give up on me and will just fill up all that I am lacking.  Like John Nash I will work hard for my goals, ignore distractions, conquer whatever comes my way and just stand back up when life knocks me down.

Jeanne Macalalad
STS Group 5
Life of Mammals
            The moment I saw the title “Social Climbers”, I don’t know why but it kind of was funny to me, maybe because I took it literally without having to see the documentary first. Watching the documentary I have observed so much about how monkeys live. Like humans we can see that they live in a society. We saw how different species interact with each other, how some are superior to the other, and how some chose to stay up in the trees while others take risks in the life spent on land. We also watched the next episode of the series which is entitled “Food for Thought”. This wasn’t far from the previous episode because in this we saw how apes are different from us. Also at the end part of this episode a lesson can be picked up about the realtion of the human population with the fate of our world.
            In both episodes we saw how they acquire skills from us to be able to survive. But what I admire most in them is that even though competition can be seen, most of them still choose to help each other to be able to let most survive. People also help each other in times of need and I think it would be better if not only a few knows how to extend their hands to those in need. Power is another issue shown in the documentary. Humans even though we have the ability to think logically still choose to abuse power which is very evident in our society. I think that being the smartest creatures made we should not take chances on showing how superior we are even to our own kind. We should all be treated equally because we are of the same kind.
            The last point I want to give emphasis to was mentioned in the last part of the Food for Thought episode which mentioned things about how we should control population or at least the use of resources for the safety of our environment. I am sensitive when it comes to topics about the world we live in and I was struck with the message, I think that we should take full responsibility with our world and take more care of it to ensure if not a better place to live in at least a decent one not only for us but for the future generation.








No comments:

Post a Comment