Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Eleennae Ayson - Reaction Paper

Eleennae Love M. Ayson

2012 – 71125

 

Science, Fiction, and Everything In Between

 

I know that science fiction exists, but I still clung to the idea that Science and Literature are on different ends of the spectrum. Science is hardcore and logical; Literature is free, artsy, and unbound by rules. That changed, though, because of TJ Dimacali’s awesomeness. He found a way to marry his passion with his craft. He found the middle ground.

 

Maybe it’s not a middle ground after all. Maybe it’s just an aspect, a connection that I overlooked or even purposely ignored. Science and literature are not as separate as they seemed. They are simply different reflections of society. Science focuses on the practical, while literature captures the abstract.It’s not always like that, though. TJ Dimacali showed how fluid their roles are and how they influence each other throughout the history of mankind.

 

Though I was a bit distracted by his talk’s apparent disorganization, I enjoyed the rambling. It is reminiscent of a typical literature class discussion, where everyone juggles five hundred themes and questions and random ideas and wrapping up with different views ranging from the traditional to the most far-fetched. It’s disconcerting to see it in a science class, a collision of two worlds.

 

I shouldn’t be bothered though. Science and art are not as separate as they seem. We are simply used to categorizing them like subjects in school, and again, the real and outside world is nothing like the safe confines of a school.

 

Because TJ Dimacali explained this in terms that I can actually understand—go literature majors!—I will consider giving science fiction a try. Granted, some titles fry my brain cells out of information overload, but he recommended some that might not shock my system that much. Here’s to pushing me beyond my comfort zone. Here’s to a whole different side of literature. Here’s to a new way of looking at science.

No comments:

Post a Comment